Qingming festival / Tomb Sweeping Day / Cold Food Festival
Tomb-sweeping Festival (Chinese:清明节), or Qingming Festival in Chinese, is a festival to worship ancestors and deceased relatives in China usually falls on April 4 or April 5. Tomb-sweeping Festival can be traced back to Eastern Zhou Dynasty (770BC- 256BC), with a history of over 2500 years. According to the tradition, people eat cold food during this festival.
Around Tomb-sweeping Festival, people visit their ancestors’ tombs with food, wine, fruits, joss sticks and zhiqian (Chinese:纸钱, paper made to resemble money and burned as an offering to the dead). Food, wine and fruits are put in the front of the tomb and then the joss sticks and zhiqian are burned. Also, people clean up weeds and sweep away leaves around the tomb to show their filial piety to their ancestors.
Qingming is a festival as well as one of the Chinese 24 solar terms (Chinese:二十四节气), which objectively mirror the alteration of air temperatures, rainfall and biotemperature, and farmers arrange their farming activities accordingly. Qingming is the solar term implies the coming of spring and the increase of rains and temperature. It is a best time for spring ploughing and sowing as well as for spring outing. Therefore, after the festival, farmers are busy with their farming works, and people go out for fresh air and kinds of recreations and sports activities, like ride on the swing, and fly kites.
- Spring Festival
- Lantern Festival
- Dragon Boat Festival
- Qiqiao Festival / Double Seventh Festival
- Ghost festival / Zhongyuan Festival
- Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival
- Double Ninth Festival / Chongyang Festival
- Laba Rice Rorridge Festival
- Winter Solstice Festival
- Dragon-Head-Raising Festival / Longtaitou
- National Holidays
- Tips for Holiday Travelers
More Topics for Chinese Culture
Far and wide known as Kungfu (功夫) all over the world, Chinese martial art is also called Wugong (武功) or Wushu (武术) at home by Chinese people. It can be seen as an art of attack and defense in which a series of skills and trick are highly emphasize...
Being a vivid Chinese cultural specialty as well as Kungfu and traditional Chinese medicine, Chinese tea has been being developed in China for a long time accompanied with which a series of tea culture took shape. Widely known in Chinese history as a...
Hot Tours 2020
- 3 Days Zhangjiajie Tour from Guangzhou
- 4 Days Beijing and Xi'an Highlights Budget Tour
- 8 Days Beijing, Huangshan & Shanghai Combo
- 10 Days Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai Budget Tour
- 13 Days Classic China Budget Tour with Yangtze Cruise
- 10 Days Cuisine Feast Tour with All the Major China Cuisines
- 16 Days Yangtze Historical and Picturesque Tour
- 28 Days Fantastic China Highlights One Month Tour