Double Ninth Festival / Chongyang Festival
Double Ninth Festival (Chinese:重阳节), or Chongyang Festival in Chinese, occurs on the 9th day of 9th lunar month. It is celebrated for over 2000 years but officially defined as a festival during the Tang Dynasty (618-907). As the development in modern times, the Double Ninth Festival gradually to be celebrated also as a Elder Day for young people to show their respects to the elderly as double nine symbolize the longevity in Chinese culture.
The typical customs of Double Ninth Festival include wear cornel (a kind of Chinese herbal medicine), appreciate chrysanthemum and climb mountains and high places. The cornel is believed to drive away evil spirits and prevent people from illness in late autumn according to the theory of Chinese Medicine. Because of the clear and sunny climate and blooming chrysanthemum in late autumn, it is also pleasant to going out and people often go hiking, mountain climbing, and appreciating flowers during the Chongyang Festival.
The food for Double Ninth Festival includes kinds of desserts made of chrysanthemum, chrysanthemum wine and Chongyang cakes. Chongyang cakes are believed to bring prosperity to people and are made of rice incorporate with nuts and preserves such as dates, semen juglandis, preserved apples, peach, apricot and the like.
- Spring Festival
- Lantern Festival
- Qingming festival / Tomb Sweeping Day / Cold Food Festival
- Dragon Boat Festival
- Qiqiao Festival / Double Seventh Festival
- Ghost festival / Zhongyuan Festival
- Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival
- Laba Rice Rorridge Festival
- Winter Solstice Festival
- Dragon-Head-Raising Festival / Longtaitou
- National Holidays
- Tips for Holiday Travelers
More Topics for Chinese Culture
Far and wide known as Kungfu (功夫) all over the world, Chinese martial art is also called Wugong (武功) or Wushu (武术) at home by Chinese people. It can be seen as an art of attack and defense in which a series of skills and trick are highly emphasize...
Being a vivid Chinese cultural specialty as well as Kungfu and traditional Chinese medicine, Chinese tea has been being developed in China for a long time accompanied with which a series of tea culture took shape. Widely known in Chinese history as a...
Hot Tours 2020
- 3 Days Zhangjiajie Tour from Guangzhou
- 4 Days Beijing and Xi'an Highlights Budget Tour
- 8 Days Beijing, Huangshan & Shanghai Combo
- 10 Days Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai Budget Tour
- 13 Days Classic China Budget Tour with Yangtze Cruise
- 10 Days Cuisine Feast Tour with All the Major China Cuisines
- 16 Days Yangtze Historical and Picturesque Tour
- 28 Days Fantastic China Highlights One Month Tour