Sun and Moon Lake
The Sun and Moon Lake is one of the eight premier tourist destinations in Taiwan and is the biggest natural lake on the island with beauty to match Hangzhou's famous West Lake. With an area of 7.73 square kilometers, this lake is at a sea-level of 740 meters and has an average depth of 40 meters. It is divided into two sections by a small island called Zhuzai Island (Pearl Island): the northern section represents a full sun while the southern section a crescent moon – that's why the lake is named Sun and Moon Lake.
Originally the Sun Lake and the Moon Lake were separated, however, the two sections became one because of the rising water level when it was decided that the lake would be turned into a source of hydroelectricity and a dam was built. There is a small island in the middle of the Moon which from above looks like a small pearl, thus it was named Pearl Island and now called Guanghua Island.
The best beauty of the Sun and Moon Lake are the mountains that cradle around. At dusk the green mountains and the light blue water make a breathtaking sight, the mean temperature sits at 22 degrees almost all year round, dropping only as low as 15 in the winter months, hence the area has become popular for couples and travelers because of its temperate climate and amazing scenery.
Top attractions in Taiwan
Hot Tours 2021
- 3 Days Zhangjiajie Tour from Guangzhou
- 4 Days Beijing and Xi'an Highlights Budget Tour
- 8 Days Beijing, Huangshan & Shanghai Combo
- 10 Days Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai Budget Tour
- 13 Days Classic China Budget Tour with Yangtze Cruise
- 10 Days Cuisine Feast Tour with All the Major China Cuisines
- 16 Days Yangtze Historical and Picturesque Tour
- 28 Days Fantastic China Highlights One Month Tour
China City Tours
Tel:0086 773 5833156
Fax:0086 773 5817771