Chinese name: 南大寺 (Nan Da Si).
Location: on Erdaoqiao, South Jiefang Road, Urumqi City, Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.
Remark: ONLY Muslims are allowed to enter it.
Originally constructed in Nantaizi of Urumqi, Southern Mosque was moved to current site in 1919 and has been repaired for three times after that. Distinguishing from a traditional mosque, the mosque is not Islamic style but a brick-and-wood classic Chinese structure, with an area of 3133 square meters. Designed in the shape of "凸", the main worshiping hall can be divided into inner part that can hold 300 people and outer part that can hold 500. Besides, there is a platform where allow 400 people to stay together.
According to regulations of the mosque, only Muslims are allowed to enter it. For those interested in visiting a mosque in Xijiang, it is recommended to visit the Id Kah Mosque in Kashgar, which is the biggest mosque in Xinjiang.
Top attractions in Urumqi
Hot Tours 2016
- 3 Days Zhangjiajie Tour from Guangzhou
- 4 Days Beijing and Xi'an Highlights Budget Tour
- 8 Days Beijing, Huangshan & Shanghai Combo
- 10 Days Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai Budget Tour
- 13 Days Classic China Budget Tour with Yangtze Cruise
- 10 Days Cuisine Feast Tour with All the Major China Cuisines
- 16 Days Yangtze Historical and Picturesque Tour
- 28 Days Fantastic China Highlights One Month Tour
China City Tours
Tel:0086 773 5833156
Fax:0086 773 5817771