Shanghai-Disneyland deal reached
The Walt Disney Company and the Shanghai municipal government have signed a project proposal to build the first Disney park on the Chinese mainland.
Under the proposal, the entertainment giant will take a 43 percent stake in Shanghai Disneyland. The other 57 percent will be owned by a joint-venture holding company, owned by the Shanghai government.
The total investment will be about 24 billion RMB. The first phase will include a theme park, a hotel and a shopping center, covering an area of 1.5 square kilometers.
It will open in 2014, at the earliest. By the conclusion of the whole project, a sprawling complex will cover an area of six to eight square kilometers.
Disney already has a theme park in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. As the company's second Asian venture, the Hong Kong Disneyland has received sponsorship of local government and business has been booming.
Analysts in Shanghai are confident that the park there will surpass the Hong Kong success and contribute trillions of RMB to the local GDP.
Recommended China City Guide :
Next News: Take flight for the spring festival
About Our Company
China Travel Resources
What Our Customers Say
Eden and I returned home to Canada yesterday. Just wanted to send you a huge thank-you for all your hard work organizing our China trip. It was a fabulous trip. All the great things you made we were able to see and do while we toured your country. If I hear of anyone heading to China I will recom...
Read more testimonials...