Most visitors to Chamdo find the flavor of its food tends to be spicy, quite similar to that of Sichuan Cuisine. On the other hand, because most of food materials are transported from other place, the supply may be interrupted by bad weather. Therefore, the price is relatively high. Local Tibetans still depends on traditional Tibetan food such as Zanba (roasted barley flour), buttered tea, and air-dried meat. There are many Tibetan restaurants that provide traditional Tibetan food.
Roasted Barley flour (糌粑) and Buttered Tea (酥油茶)
The two are usually served together. Roasted barley flour is the staple food of Tibetan. And buttered tea is a typical Tibetan drink made from butter and strong tea, which are stirred and mixed into cream.
Air-dried meat (风干肉)
Air-dried meat is also a popular foodstuff in Tibet. It is usually made at the year end when temperature is below zero. Fresh beef or mutton are sliced and air-dried. The nutrition of meat therefore is preserved. Tender, and fragile, it has unique taste.
Hot Tours 2020
- 3 Days Zhangjiajie Tour from Guangzhou
- 4 Days Beijing and Xi'an Highlights Budget Tour
- 8 Days Beijing, Huangshan & Shanghai Combo
- 10 Days Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai Budget Tour
- 13 Days Classic China Budget Tour with Yangtze Cruise
- 10 Days Cuisine Feast Tour with All the Major China Cuisines
- 16 Days Yangtze Historical and Picturesque Tour
- 28 Days Fantastic China Highlights One Month Tour