VOC's Travel BLOG
Our Travel Blog is the place to share our real life, travel experiences in China with you. Besides, we will provide information related to Chinese culture and China travel guide. "A bosom friend afar brings a distant land near." Traveling makes us to be closer, let's discover China together!
How to get along with those spices??
When I arrived in Guilin, I had close to no experience with spicy food. I just knew one thing: I did not like it a lot! And I was not prepared for mostly getting spicy food in Guilin.. And the spices here are a lot stronger than what I ever had eaten before. But as I did not want to be impolite, I tried everything and ate most of the dishes that were offered. In the end I usually had the feeling that my mouth was burning and could not taste anything anymore for some time. But I am getting used to it and after four weeks here I have to admit that I start to like it. :-) As a tip for tourists who get very spicy food by bad luck: Use the tea, put some in your cup and "wash" the fish, vegetables or meat in it before eating. This is accepted by Chinese people and allows you to get to know the good traditional food! :-) Yesterday my colleagues and I had Hot Pot, a dish where in the middle of the table a huge “pot” with some kind of broth is boiling. This broth can be from extermely spicy to very mild. Then you can order any kind of food (Vegetables, meat, fish, noodles etc) and put it in to cook it. Everyone can serve himself; it is similar to a fondue and very tasty!
Lucily, since my arrival in Hong Kong my chopstick skills have increased a lot, so I don't have to leave the table still hungry or ashamed anymore. Try it, too, it is easier than you might think!
- A Trip to the Little Zhangjiajie - Lotus Mountain-by Sophy
- The most terrifying bridge in the world will open soon-by Kitty
- A Trip to the Little Zhangjiajie - Lotus Mountain-by H.P.Heltzel
- Can not miss Shanghai Disneyland, China-by Mahesh
- Can not miss Shanghai Disneyland, China-by Lucy
- To encounter nonconventional sites in Guilin - a different but splendid tour-by Haphine
- My Trip to Gansu Province: Zhangye - amazing Danxia landform-by Denise
- Great weekend in Silver Cave scenic area, Guilin-by Mari