VOC's Travel BLOG
Our Travel Blog is the place to share our real life, travel experiences in China with you. Besides, we will provide information related to Chinese culture and China travel guide. "A bosom friend afar brings a distant land near." Traveling makes us to be closer, let's discover China together!
A Bite of China – Dried Orange Peel and Bitter Flavour
In October, the leaves of citruses in Xinhui turn from green to yellow with sweet smell. People skin fresh tangerines peels, and choose a sunny day to dry white part of tangerine peels. All tangerine peels within five years are sun-dried at least one time each year, until moisture, sugar, and oil are evaporated. The value of dried orange peel depends on how long it has been stored. The longer it has been dried, the expensive it is. It is said that Xinhui Dried Mandarin Peel (orange peel) were mostly transported to north China in the past. When they were transported out of Lingnan area (the area covers the Guangdong, Guangxi, Hunan and Jiangxi provinces of modern China), the aroma of them is even stronger. A story goes that an overseas Chinese went abroad and carried some dried orange peels. When the ship arrived in the Pacific Ocean, the fragrance of peel overflowed at once. The tangy fragrance of dried orange peel is unique. Preserved Mandarin Peel (九制陈皮) is a Cantonese snack food. It is a dried candied orange peel popular among kids and students. With a refreshingly bittersweet flavor of orange peels, it can relieve thirsty and stop coughing. The preparation process involves nine steps, including husking, soaking, fresh-keeping, chopping, salting, trickling, flavoring, air-drying, and packaging.
For many Chinese, bitter is a good part of food and life. It is widely believed that bitterness finishes, sweetness begins. They also believe a perfect life must be companied with various flavors, including bitter.
- A Trip to the Little Zhangjiajie - Lotus Mountain-by Sophy
- The most terrifying bridge in the world will open soon-by Kitty
- A Trip to the Little Zhangjiajie - Lotus Mountain-by H.P.Heltzel
- Can not miss Shanghai Disneyland, China-by Mahesh
- Can not miss Shanghai Disneyland, China-by Lucy
- To encounter nonconventional sites in Guilin - a different but splendid tour-by Haphine
- My Trip to Gansu Province: Zhangye - amazing Danxia landform-by Denise
- Great weekend in Silver Cave scenic area, Guilin-by Mari