Kunming Flowers and Birds Market
Chinese name: 昆明花鸟市场 (Kunming Huaniao Shichang).
Location: Yondao Street, downtown Kunming City, Yunnan Province.
Opening time: 09:00-18:00.
Best time for visit: All year round.
How to get there: It is located at downtown Kunming and not far away from Kunming Department Store and Nanping Pedestrian Street (南屏步行街). Travelers can take bus No.1, 2, 4, 5, 10, 26 or 52, or take a taxi.
1. Measure system in Kunming is different from that of other cities. Traders in Kunming always quote at 1 kilogram per unit while traders in other China cities will quote at 500 gram per unit. Please make sure the unit price before you buy anything.
2. Besides flowers, birds, fish and pet-insect, many folk arts and crafts are selling in Jingxing Flowers and Birds Market which is surrounding by large numbers of most well-preserved ancient architectures in Kunming.
Brief Introduction to Flowers and Birds Markets in Kunming
In Kunming, which is hailed as Spring City for its nice weather like in spring all year round, visitors can enjoy favorable weather and seeing beautiful flowers no matter what seasons it is, thus, flowers and birds markets here are bigger and more activated than that in other cities. There are about ten flowers and birds markets in Kunming, including White Dragon Flowers and Birds Market(白龙花鸟市场), Western Pets, Flowers and Birds Market(西部宠物花鸟市场), Chunyuan Flowers and Birds Market(春苑花鸟市场), Daguan Flowers, Birds and Insect Market (大观花鸟虫市场), Golden Tree Village Flowers and Birds Market(金树村花鸟市场), Jingxing Flowers and Birds Market(景星花鸟市场), Dounan Flowers Trading Market(斗南花卉交易市场), Expo Garden Flowers and Birds Market(世博园花鸟市场), Little Dragon Sifang Street Flowers and Birds Market(小龙四方街花鸟市场) and Zhongbei Flowers and Birds Market(中北花鸟市场). Jingxing Flowers and Birds Market(景星花鸟市场) was once the biggest flowers and birds market in downtown Kunming which has been partly demolished since 2006, for a project of recovering and protecting the area that is also known as "old town area" of Kunming City.
Jingxing Flowers and Birds Market
Located at Yongdao Street (甬道街), Jingxing Flowers and Birds Market was opened for business in 1983, gathering vendors selling flowers, birds, fish and so on, and finally became the biggest flowers and birds market in Kunming. Local people of the city, especially children getting pocket money during the Spring Festival, like wandering around this oldest flowers and birds market to buy the merchandise they like or shop with eyes only. Yongtong Street is no less than 200 meters long and about 15 meters wide, but there are more than 300 setting booths and about 700 traders. Phoenix trees are planted in line on sides of the road, providing shade for visitors in summer. Besides various kinds of flowers, birds, fishes and pet-insects, item for collection and decoration such as jewels,handcrafts, antiques and commemorative coins are also sold at this market. At least seven to eight groups of foreign visitors can be seen shopping in Jingxing Flowers and Birds Market every day.
Jingxing Flowers and Birds Market Nowadays
The history of Kunming Ancient Street can be traced back to Song Dynasty (960-1279), while the existing structure, while the street is famous as the only block in Kunming that preserves a large amount of ancient architectures built in Qing Dynasty (1616-1912) and the Republic of China (1912-1949). The architectures there today are essentially important for studying the style and features of mansions and private houses of the periods.
With a history of more than 900 years, Kunming Ancient Street is also a trademark and the last biggest ancient block in Kunming downtown which gains highly attention of local government providing well protection to make sure its sustainable development.
As planned, CNY 3 billion has been invested in the project of Reconstruction of Kunming Ancient Street, which started since 2006 and involved 10 streets including Wenming Street (文明街), JIngxing Street (景星街), Wemiao Straight Street (文庙直街, Confucian Temple Street), Yongdao Street (甬道街), Guanghua Street (光华街), etc. The project aims at creating an AAAA rank Scenic Spots in Kunming. According to official information, the area is called "Old Town Area" or "Preserved Area".
Some other flowers and birds markets in Kunming
1. White Dragon Flowers and Birds Market(白龙花鸟市场): take bus No. 47, 69 or 95, get off at the stop of Shibo Jixinyuan (世博吉鑫园);
2. Western Pets, Flowers and Birds Market(西部宠物花鸟市场): take bus No. 58 or 80, get off at the stop of Xiyuan Keyunzhan (西苑客运站);
3. Chunyuan Flowers and Birds Market(春苑花鸟市场): take bus No. 58, 61 or 62, get off at the stop of Chunyuan Xiaoqu (春苑小区);
4. Daguan Flowers, Birds and Insect Market(大观花鸟虫市场): take bus No. 125, or 160, get off at the stop of Daguan Shangyecheng (大观商业城);
5. Golden Tree Village Flowers and Birds Market(金树村花鸟市场): take bus No. 47, or 50, get off at the stop of Xinying Lukou(新迎路口/人民东路);
6. Jingxing Flowers and Birds Market(景星花鸟市场): take bus No. 10, or 82, get off at the stop of Nanpingjie Xikou(南屏街西口);
7. Dounan Flowers Trading Market(斗南花卉交易市场): take bus No. 12 get off at the stop of Beimen Jiekou (北门街口), then take bus 215 get off at the bus stop of Dounan (斗南);
8. Expo Garden Flowers and Birds Market(世博园花鸟市场): take bus No. 47, 69 or 95, get off at the stop of Shibo Jixinyuan (世博吉鑫园);
9. Little Dragon Sifang Street Flowers and Birds Market(小龙四方街花鸟市场): take bus No. 60 or 95, get off at the stop of Xinying Lukou(新迎路口/白龙路);
10. Zhongbei Flowers and Birds Market(中北花鸟市场): take bus No. 99 or 171, get off at the stop of Jinyuan Huayuan(锦苑花园).
Top attractions in Kunming
Tours including Kunming Flowers and Birds Market
- 10 Days China Hiking Tour with upper Yangtze Rafting and Ethnic Minorities Discovery
- 10 Days Oriental Pearl Hong Kong & Shangri-La Tour $1957
- 13 Days Golden Triangle Tour with Yunnan Discovery $2262
- 21 Days World Heritage Sites with Minority Exploration Tour
- 8 Days Shanghai Sights & Yunan Magic Tour $1503
- 17 Day China Budget Tour with Cultural, Natural and Ethnic Discovery $2290
Hot Tours 2016
- 3 Days Zhangjiajie Tour from Guangzhou
- 4 Days Beijing and Xi'an Highlights Budget Tour
- 8 Days Beijing, Huangshan & Shanghai Combo
- 10 Days Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai Budget Tour
- 13 Days Classic China Budget Tour with Yangtze Cruise
- 10 Days Cuisine Feast Tour with All the Major China Cuisines
- 16 Days Yangtze Historical and Picturesque Tour
- 28 Days Fantastic China Highlights One Month Tour
China City Tours
Tel:0086 773 5833156
Fax:0086 773 5817771