The Taklamakan Desert is located in the Southern part of the Xinjiang Tarim Basin, in the local language Taklamakan means "Desert under the Mountain". This 1000 kilometer long and 400 kilometer wide desert covering a total area of 337,600 square meters is the largest desert in China, the second biggest in the world and the second largest flowing desert in the world (second to the Sahara Desert). It's considered the most beautiful desert in China.
Taklamakan Desert is the most mysterious and attractive desert in the world. The shifting sands of the Taklamakan are vast with dunes often rising around 200 meters, with the highest reaching 300 meters; the dunes have been naturally formed into different shapes, birds, dragons, gods. Remarkably in the desert along the rivers exists a lush green island where thick Huyanglin trees and bushes, known as "the green corridor". In recent years a large reservoir of petroleum has been discovered under the sand, making this desert of the most valuable in the world.
Top attractions in Kashgar
Hot Tours 2019
- 3 Days Zhangjiajie Tour from Guangzhou
- 4 Days Beijing and Xi'an Highlights Budget Tour
- 8 Days Beijing, Huangshan & Shanghai Combo
- 10 Days Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai Budget Tour
- 13 Days Classic China Budget Tour with Yangtze Cruise
- 10 Days Cuisine Feast Tour with All the Major China Cuisines
- 16 Days Yangtze Historical and Picturesque Tour
- 28 Days Fantastic China Highlights One Month Tour
China City Tours
Tel:0086 773 5833156
Fax:0086 773 5817771